Equality PA is the commonwealth’s leading organization advancing equality and opportunity for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people.
More about us
We are three organizations – united with a common vision but serving unique functions in our work to achieve equality.
Equality Pennsylvania is a 501(c)(4) political advocacy organization. Through it, we lobby our lawmakers at the federal, state, and municipal levels.
Equality Pennsylvania Educational Fund is a 501(c)(3) public charity. Through it, we provide educational programming on LGBT issues, conduct research to understand public opinions, and develop campaigns to build awareness of LGBT people and support for fairness and equality.
Equality Pennsylvania PAC is our statewide political action committee dedicated to supporting fair-minded candidates and issues.
Equality Pennsylvania is part of the the Equality Federation, a strategic partner to a robust network of state-based organizations that are advancing equality around the country. For more about the Equality Federation click here:
Each organization plays a critical role in our mission to secure and protect equality and opportunity for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender Pennsylvanians — while sharing the same mission:
Equality Pennsylvania is the statewide voice for LGBT equality in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and works collaboratively to establish a comprehensive network of individuals and organizations united in securing equal rights for the LGBT community.
We didn’t always have the organizational structure and foundation that we employ today. We have evolved and grown since our founding nearly 2 decades ago – and our history showcases how far we’ve come.
- 1996: Founded as Center for Lesbian and Gay Civil Rights and staffed with one attorney working out of his home
- 1997: Started offering direct legal services and launched the Family Rights Project
- 2000: Established the Legal Clinic to provide services across the state
- 2002: Helped secure same-sex second parent adoption rights across Pennsylvania, a critical expansion of LGBT family rights in the state
- 2005: Launched Employment Rights Project that focused solely on providing legal services to LGBT employees who have been victims of discrimination
- 2006: Defeated constitutional amendment banning marriage for gay couples
- 2007: Introduced state non-discrimination legislation that would protect LGBT people from discrimination in housing, employment, and public accommodations
- 2008: Launched the Student Network Across Pennsylvania (SNAP), a coalition that facilitates greater communication and collaboration among Pennsylvania’s LGBT students and collegiate organizations
- 2009: Reorganized with new board and mission; formed Equality Pennsylvania to specifically advance LGBT equality through policy initiatives
Since our reorganization in 2010, Equality Pennsylvania has secured many critical victories for LGBT people. Click here for a full list of our accomplishments over the past several years.