There are many ways to move forward together
While most of the focus has been on the legislature this year, there has been a lot of progress in other areas in the state to help advance LGBT equality. Equality PA has been at the forefront, helping to win policy victories for LGBT people, and we can’t thank Gov. Wolf enough for his support in making many of these changes happen.
We just wanted to make sure you knew that this year we helped to put in place the following reforms:
– All state workers are protected from discrimination at work
– The state will now consider LGBT owned businesses when it looks for minority contracts
– The policies for changing the gender marker on birth certificates were simplified for transgender people
– Birth certificates in the future will ask for two “parent” names instead of “mother” and “father”
– Medicaid will now cover all medically necessary care for transgender people
– Private insurers in the state have also been instructed to cover medically necessary care for transgender people
That’s a pretty great list of policy progress for LGBT people and none of it would have happened without your voice and your support. Telling our stories as a community leads to real change.
As we move into 2017, we will have many more opportunities to make progress. Fill out our survey here to let us know how you can help!