Support our work by becoming an Equality Sustainer today!

Questions and Answers about Marriage in PA

Last night we held a telephone town hall to answer questions about the new marriage decision and what it could mean for you and your family. We had some great experts including Ted Martin, Executive Director of Equality PA, Mary Catherine Roper, Senior Staff Attorney with the ACLU, and Angela D. Giampolo, Principal Attorney, Giampolo Law Group. They answered lots of questions and we got lots of feedback from the community.

To hear the full call listen here:

Here are a few of the top questions:

Q. If I was married out of state or in Canada do I need to do anything to get my marriage recognized in PA?

A. No, your marriage is now valid in PA. When you are filling out forms and other things, just check married.

Q. If I was married in Montgomery County is my marriage valid?

A. That’s not clear yet. Wait a few more days and there will likely be a decision on that. When there is a decision we will post it on our web site.

Q. What does this mean for same-sex couples who want to get divorced?

A. Divorce will now be handled in the same way as everyone else. Contact your own attorney for details on how to proceed.

Q. How do I change my name for a same-sex marriage?

A. It should work the same way as any other marriage. Contact your own attorney for details on how to proceed.

Here are some other great resources from our experts if you have more questions that are not answered here.


Become an Equality Sustainer

Fund for Fairness Sustainer
2018 Electoral Endorsement Campaign

Click Here to Apply for Endorsement
  • @EqualityPA: BREAKING NEWS: Lehigh County Bans Discrimination for County Employees and Contractors -- More @…

    Retweet Reply Favorite (about 5 days ago)

Sponsored Link

Thank you to our 2017-18 Strategic Partners

Equality Federation Human Rights Campaign Gill Foundation Gill Action Fund Freedom for All Americans
American Unity Fund ACLU PA Evelyn & Walter Haas, Jr. Fund Johnson Family Foundation Schlegel-Deibler Charitable Foundation

To become a strategic partner with a contribution, sponsorship, or service of $2,500 or more,
contact Development Director Joe Dungee at

© 2008-18 Equality Pennsylvania  |  All rights reserved.  |  (215) 731-1447
Philadelphia HQ: 1418 S. 13th St  |  Philadelphia, PA 19107  |
Executive/Business Office: 400 Third Ave, #107  |  Kingston, PA 18704  |
'Equality PA' is 3 entities: Equality Pennsylvania Education Fund, Equality Pennsylvania (Advocacy), and Equality PA PAC.
Contributions to EPEF are tax deductible. Contributions to EP & EPPAC are not.